Friday, September 12, 2008

O Possums

We had a run-in with a rodent the other night. It's a long story so here we go. It was 11:45 Saturday night and I went on a cleaning spree for the Sabbath because my house was SO close to being clean clean clean. So close. And I just long to have a really clean house. So I was just about there and went to grab my vacuum which I stash in this corner when I'm too lazy to put it away. But when I moved the vaccum I saw something furry underneath the dresser next to it.

Emma has this hand puppet that she got from Denise a couple years ago and it, too, is furry. However, I specifically remembered asking Emma to put the puppet away just a couple of hours b efore this. So I walked outside to Jack and told him there might be an animal in my house. It most definitely was so he grabbed a broom and started to shove it.

This is what I saw.
These things play dead, by the way. So it is lying there, lifeless, but whenever Jack hits it, I see it's tail come out the other side of the dresser and then it runs back in to play dead. I told Jack I was going to our neighbors (Ben/Carrie who is Emma's violin teacher) to get a broom and ask for help.
Ben was very willing to come over. He was already armed with gloves, but all he had was a push broom because they just moved in and their broom was still at the other house. And Carrie jumped right in and said she was grabbing her camera (otherwise I would not have these pics).




I make my stories way too long. Anyway, we made this barricade so that it could only go one way, straight through the door. So Jack whacked this thing out and it started running right for the door and then changed its course. He turned around and ran right back for Jack and jumped over our barricade, ran through my dining room and into my kitchen where it found alittle nook where I keep my broom. mop, and stepstool. So here's the video of the little sucker making its way out of our house.



He ended up not going out the gate to freedom, but under a different gate into our backyard and into a tree. So from there Ben whacked it and it jumped onto ou fence and ran over into their yard. I didn't get my house clean. It was around 1 am when this whole thing finished.


10 comments:

just jen said...

i am so traumatized!

how the heck did that thing get in your house???

so, so scary!

my boys watched this video at least ten times, and then connor asked, "can we go over to their house today?" so cute! (and sad).

Sharla said...

Holy cow. I would've flipped out!

Lisha said...

I just did a bunch of catching up on your blog. Crazy possum story. I think I would've freaked out! I loved the video of Jackson sleeping on the chair, love all the cute pictures of Sadi. It's making me more and more excited and anxious for our little one to get here!:) I really liked your birthday post from Jack. That was really sweet! And I learned some neat things about you. (Not that I didn't already think you were super great!) Congrats on the new fun new van and congrats to Emma on starting school. I hope we get to see you guys sometime in the near future. It would be fun!

Nicole said...

I will reiterate...HOW DID THAT THING GET INTO YOUR HOUSE???

Holy Moly!

Brooke Morgan said...

The story was so much better with pictures. I still can't believe it was in your house. It gives me the willies. That thing is so ugly! It's eyes were glaring and everything!

Jami said...

We had been swimming a few hours earlier in the backyard and it was such a nice day that I left the door open...I'm assuming that's when the bugger came in.

jani said...

seeing that thing almost inspired me to go on a cleaning spree and purge my house of every last unwelcome creature lurking here... almost...

Jeuce said...

O! This is such a crack up! That is a creepy looking 'possum. It really looks like a huge rat! I am VERY glad you had help! By the way, your new wall color looks marvelous!

Jeanne

Jess said...

ewwwwwwwwwww. I would have screamed if I was over. But that would have been such an adventure to see.

Crafty Momma said...

I would have totally freaked out! Wow! How did it get in the house? Weird!