Monday, September 8, 2008

Cinnamon?


A couple of weeks ago we had some friends over for Indian food (Lilian and Mike). She and I were in the kitchen cooking chicken korma and discussing spices and a new indian grocery store I found in my neighborhood after looking for a year. I happened to have an overload of garam masala, which is a spice you put in a whole lot of indian recipes, and told her she could empty some into an old cinnamon spice can that had recently run out. We did not put the sprinkle lid back in place. Well apparently, Lilian forgot to take this home. Saturday morning came and Jack got out of bed with the kids to make us breakfast (cinnamon french toast) (can you see where this is going?). So Jackson got ahold of the cinnamon and started dumping on a piece of the toast. Jack grabbed it and thought, "this will be his piece." Unfortunately, we are going through a stage with Jackson where he gets up and walks around during dinner so the rule as of the last month has been that he gets buckled in his seat until he has finished his plate. So of course we are all eating breakfast and he's telling us his is yucky and he refuses to eat it to which we reply that he has to stay in his seat until it's gone. Well, it had been about 45 minutes and I was done cleaning the kitchen except for washing the counter tops...there's this strange spice all over the counter and Jack went on to tell me how Jackson dumped cinnamon all over and that was the mess. To which I replied "that is not cinnamon." Poor kid. Needless to say, we didn't make him eat it. Can you imagine butter, maple syrup, and garam masala french toast?

1 comment:

jani said...

What a bad mom. I would NEVER buckle my kid in to make them eat. Oh, wait, I do that every night. And though I don't know what that spice tastes like off the top of my head, I'm sure if it is anything like any Indian spice I know, it was pretty disgusting with syrup. Poor little guy!