Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Happy Birthday Emma!

So I know every mom thinks their kid is the greatest and I am not exempt from being such a mom. My baby turned five years old on Monday (15th). I can't help but look at her with this incredible pride because she is has been the best little girl and is growing up to be such a beautiful person.



Here are several characteristics that make her incredible in the eyes of her mom:



Genuine kindness. I have watched this little lady go to a park and she will ask me if she can go make a friend. She walks right over to some other little lady and introduces herself and asks if she wants to chase her or swing or slide. And she is so good at including the one that has been left out. I like that.
She tries to help others be happy. On my birthday, Monica and I hiked with the kids to a waterfall (it was only 3/4 mile so not a huge feat), but her friend Dillan was not impressed as soon as we got out of the car and let us all know about it the first half up. It was quite funny to me, but I'm sure that's because I'm not his mommy. Anyway, I just watched Emma watch him and observed her several times attempting to get his mind excited over the upcoming tree that had fallen or inviting him to be the leader. She's watched her mom try the distracting technique, apparently. Actually, I'm just really impressed that she was that kind of a friend that she wanted him to be happy.
She has such a soft heart. Last night was a rough night as far as getting the kids down. It was Jack's turn to be with the bishop during interviews so he was at the church. I was out of patience, also. Sadi was crying and so ready to nurse and go to bed, Emma was wiped out tired and had school the next day so she needed to go to sleep, and Jackson hadn't had a nap and was beyond tired so he was irrational and we could throw logic out the window. After several attempts to get Jackson calmed down to say prayers and get in bed, I used a very frustrated motherly tone (i.e. yelling) that didn't bring good feelings into the home. As I walked in to check on the kids later, Emma peeked over her bed and asked why I was crying. I wasn't crying. But I looked up at her and could tell she was about to lose it. I gave her a huge hug and she broke down bawling and didn't like that Jackson had felt so sad and that I had yelled at him. I love that she has empathy toward others. I really think she has a gift to feel what another person is feeling and show empathy toward them. She is just awesome.


She LOVES being a big sister and is fantastic at it. Sadi's individual space is violated 50 times a day from her sister getting in her face to kiss her and say "hello sissy, how are you?" in her talk to a baby voice that I'm sure she perfected by watching her mother. She is also so good to entertain Jackson when I ask her to by inviting him to play trains or play with their babies or play something princess. Her brother adores every bit of attention she gives him, also.



She is brave. This list could go on and on. Emma has the ability to face her uncertainties and insecurities and work on them. Jack and I have often commented on how hard o a worker she is in making herself a better person. We have watched her learn to control her emotions. We can visibly see her closing her eyes and doing her best to stay calm until she is under control and then she will open her eyes and PUT a smile on her face and say she is calm or happy or something. But she recognizes that she is what she chooses to be and then chooses to be happy. I still don't have that down. I have also watched her take on violin and love it as well as doing crazy tricks her father dares her to do in the swimming pool and getting up on stage in front of tons of strangers at karaoke and singing. She used to be nervous up there, but has gotten way past her fears and loves it now.
She is responsible. She makes her bed every day, keeps her own room clean, and is always getting better at doing something I ask the first time, which I so appreciate.Her laugh is contagious. She is so happy and energetic and fun to be around.


Hey Emma, I love you to pieces, my princess. You've been such a great daughter and friend. I just think you are awesome! Happy Birthday, Sis. Love you, Mom




5 comments:

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday Emma!

Lindsey said...

Jami, She is so Beautiful. I wish we were closer so I could get to know her better. This will be fun to see your sweet kids grow.
miss you, Lindsey

Jeuce said...

This is an AWESOME video. I feel like I was right there in the back yard singing with the rest of the bunch! I'm sorry we missed it and I hope your birthday was as TERRIFIC as it looked! Love,
Aunt Jeanne, Uncle Bruce & Beckett Bear

Brooke Morgan said...

She is so sweet. My girls are truly lucky to have her as a friend. We love you guys!

I'm quite lucky to have her mommy as my friend too!

Jess said...

Happy Birthday Emma!!
She is 5!!!
She's getting so big.
She will appreciate this blog so much when she is older Jami!