Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Zuppa Toscana

So this is a new recipe from my aunt that I tried out today. It was SOOOO Fabulous! At least enough to share. No really, it was! I have no idea if this is the name of it, but my aunt called it the Olive Garden soup, so I looked it up and this was the closest one. So if any of you want a great meal (that was easy and fast, too), here ya go!

1/2 lbs italian sausage (spicy)
1/2 lbs regular mild sausage
3/4 c onion, chopped (or more)
6 slices bacon (or handful from a precooked bag...helps with that "fast" part)
1 1/4 tsp garlic (or more if you know my cooking)
4 c water
1 quart chicken broth
6 potatoes diced
6 c shredded kale
2/3 c heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 Tbl Parsley
1 tsp salt
At same time...start boiling potatoes in water, seasonings, and broth and
begin cooking sausage and throw in onion towards the end...when onions cooked...throw in garlic and bacon. When potatoes are done, add cream, kale, and meat mixture and simmer until the kale is limp and you're done! Ohhhhh! This is so good! Jani, I know you would love it!

5 comments:

just jen said...

thanks for the recipe because you are right...this soup was awesome. thank you for being such a great VT!

Deanna said...

Jami, I can't wait to try this - I know it will be right up Ron's alley! (Hello - Ronco? Italian?) :o) Anything w/ spicy Italian sausage has to be good! I'll let you know what we think...

jani said...

TOO FUNNY!!! My sister made this same soup last night for super saturday today, but it's her own recipe that she tinkered with until she got it right.... and now she won't share the recipe!! I can't wait to show her this!!
ps- she uses fat free 1/2 and 1/2 and low fat sausage and it's just as good..... well, I can't say just as good since I haven't had the full fat version, but the lower fat is AWESOME!! Love you bunches and miss you tons!!

Crump Family said...

What a coincidence!! I just had this soup at a some friends house a couple of weeks ago. I had been meaning to ask for the recipe-thanks for posting it. I can totally vouch for it being DELICIOUS!!!

Borders Family said...

I am so excited to make this because I love this soup at the Olive Garden. Thanks for sharing!