Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Okay, so one more post today...

For those of you who know the story behind our van, this story will be another impressive obstacle story to add to the bumper of that car. So we all know Claifornia is pretty expensive in a lot of areas. State tax being one of them. I looked into getting our cars registered and found out that getting JUST the van done would be just over $2,200 (not including the $120 penalty fee for not registering it within 20 days). That's a chunk of change! So I've been a little worried about it. Jack was online one night that he was on call doing some research and found a law that says if you transfer a car between family members it is considered a "gift" and they will not charge sales tax on the vehicle. Fortunately, the car was only titled with Jack's name. So, we called to make sure this would work and they said it surely would. So we went down to get my new CA driver's license and registered our van for $122 That's it. I have had a smile on my face ever since. I'm $2000 richer as far as i'm concerned~ Whoo-hoo! They didn't even charge us the penalty, which I was also grateful for. Tomorrow we get the accord done so we'll see how that one goes! Just one of those "tender mercies." My friend, Monica calls it a tithing blessing, which I also thought was good. Makes me think we should take that saved money and put it directly towards being prepared. I've been thinking how the church is done counseling on that after 75 years and thinking it's time. Mom's getting me a Whisper Mill for Christmas so I'm pretty excited about that!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

$2000!? That's crazy! I hear their property tax is even worse!

Borders Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Borders Family said...

I have been thinking a lot about preparedness lately too. I am beginning to wonder if the Lord may test us to see if we have heeded to his counsel to get prepared. Scary to think about!

jani said...

That van is CRAZY!!! And lucky too I guess... Is it so nice to finally really have though? Instead of sitting where ever it sat for forever!!

Deanna said...

Wow! That is amazing! I can't believe they actualy fell for that! :o) No, really, what a blessing! (Much needed after all the past craziness...)

Jami said...

I just gotta tell everyone that it was legal and we were honest. There was no trickery in any of it! Just wanted you all to know, in case there was question!

Mandy said...

Ok I just read your comment on Deanna's blog...I can't believe you gave all your sweaters to your sister...it gets cold there!!!! You are definately going to need some warm clothes...just not SNOW clothes!!! Too funny!

Travis and Jamie said...

Wow!! I can't believe how expensive that is. Isn't it nice how the Lord decides to bless us. What craziness with that van though. What could be next?!:)