Friday, September 14, 2007

Emma's first day of school



So this is my little Emma on her first day of school. I could have made her first day a little less traumatic, but where would the character building opportunity be if I did that? Let me explain. I initially signed Emma up for three days a week. Then after thinking about it thought I wanted a little more freedom for the three of us (my kids and I) this first year and Emma and I could still do school at home, too, if we were really ambitious. So I brought her back to two days. So we had an open house last week to meet her teacher and the kids in the class and all that. Afterward, I went home thinking that Emma was so much more mature than the rest of the kids in her class and she was the only one not crying and sharing toys and all that and I thought i didn't want her to repeat what she did last year or she would be bored. So the first day of school I took her into class andshe was so excited. She walked in and started talking to her teacher and the kids andplayiing and was this social little thing (which is a big deal because Emma has always been very quiet). I should have been happy about it, but instead was still stuck on her being so much more mature and i wanted her to grow by watching other kids, too, and all these thoughts going through my mind. So I go straight to the principle and ask if we can put her in the older class. No problem. Off I go and grab Emma and introduce her to her new teacher. She was fine, but not excited like before. I left and cried all the way home wondering if I had made the wrong decision. Called the principal when i got home and just asked her to keep an eye on her and give an opinion in the end. So when i picked her up the principal was so nice, even though I'm sure she thought I was nuts. She said either one would be fine...in one, Emma would be the oldest...in the other...the youngest. I played that game last year. I want Emma to learn to be a leader. By situation I thought the oldest would be the best way to go. So yesterday I swapped her back. She was happy to go back and her teacher is wonderful so I am excited for her now. She's happy and I finally feel right about my decision. And she is so happy to be back! We love Miss Cheryl.

1 comment:

jani said...

Consistently thy name is woman *grin*