Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A More Serious Issue

I stole this from Jamie's blog (apparently I'm stealing a lot tonight). This is exactly what I was going to blog about tonight so I'll post this post and write my feelings tomorrow. They're pretty much here, though.

BLOG LIKE YOUR FAMILY DEPENDS ON IT BECAUSE IN FACT IT DOES...One year ago yesterday we moved to beautiful California. I love it here! When I started this blog I thought I would blog about all of our fun adventures here, but this post today takes a very serious issue that I hold so close to my heart: my family. Earlier this year, 4 judges overturned what 61% of the voters in California voted for... to keep marriage between a man and a woman. It scares me that just 4 people can change the will of a majority, but what's done is done and now we have a chance to vote again! As many of you know, California is engaged in an unprecedented battle over the definition of marriage... Proposition 8! Many people don't understand or don't take the time to find out why this is the most important thing we might ever do to protect our family! PLEASE HELP!I make a simple but urgent plea for understanding. What will really happen to society and especially the family if Proposition 8 does not pass? There are many places to get the facts. Won't Gay people loose their rights?In California, the law provides for marriage-related benefits to be given to civil unions and domestic partnerships. Proposition 8 does not diminish these benefits. This is NOT the real issue here. Although if you live in California the ads against Prop. 8 seem to make that the issue. (read your voter guide!)Failure to pass Proposition 8 will affect children.If gay marriage remains legal, public schools will put it on equal footing with traditional marriage. Children will likely receive “age appropriate” information about sexual relations within heterosexual and homosexual marriages. (Click here to to see...)Failure to pass Proposition 8 will hurt churches.The court’s decision will inevitably lead to conflicts with religious liberty and free speech rights. Society will become more and more hostile to traditional beliefs about marriage and family. Having tolerance without condoning.We can love others while still maintaining and advocating our standards and beliefs.Proposition 8 will allow us to continue to teach our beliefs and standards.This is my belief:"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." The Family- A Proclamation to the WorldWe have family members and friends who are gay. We love them. I say to them... if this amendment does not pass you will be given the right to call your "partnership" or relationship a marriage, but I lose the rights that I hold so dear- what my children learn in school, what our society values, what churches are able to discuss. Homosexuals will not be given or lose any rights by this amendment, but the outcome of this not passing will effect the society in which we live. Take the challenge to get the word out, especially to your friends in California, Arizona, Florida...Another way to support this cause, is to join a nation-wide fast with much needed prayers on October 12. Check out the information here.Doesn't this just involve California? NO!!, the decision made will effect other states and our society as a whole!California is only the beginning...(click here to see) If you live in California: What can you do?? REGISTER TO VOTE!! and educate yourself on Prop. 8YES on Proposition 8....WHY??? (click here to read more)

1 comment:

Michael and Brinn said...

Very well said. It's amazing all the other issues that will come about if people don't vote yes on Prop 8. I love ya Jami and miss ya. I heard today that Denise is prego with 3. Is it true? How incredible if so. Hope you are doing well.