Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I was a good mom today!

Let me tell you why! For those of you who remember my plea last March 6 ( I don't know how to link this or I would. Go to archives), I have "part two" this evening. Today I was at Albertson's picking up a few things when lo and behold the magazine in front of me was of three women in lingerie (thongs, actually) with their rear ends toward me with the seductive look. Oh please. I'm so tired of this. Anyway, a worker walked past me and I stopped her and pointed to the magazine and said it was offensive and I didn't want my kids to see these things. She informed me that the store just got all of these brand new magazine racks for every aisle and they were all over. So I went on to tell her that a bunch of moms and I were on the hunt for stores willing to help us out in this cause to get crap off the shelf and I asked who I needed to talk to to get them off. She said she didn't know but could maybe find out and walked away. I thought it was a fruitless attempt.

Fifteen minutes later I have kids strapped in the car and groceries in when the manager came running out after me. She told me that this girl had told her what I said. She told me she just had to meet me and then actually thanked me for saying it. I asked what I needed to do to get the ball rolling and she said to go in and show her the magazine and then went on to say how the family unit in this country is falling apart and she was just talking to her husband last night about how they didn't want their grandkids to grow up in a country like this and isn't it ridiculous that we can't teach children about church in school, but gay and lesbian marriage we can? I was thinking "is this for real?" She got in my car and talked with the kids and we chatted for a good fifteen minutes and then she carried Sadi while I carried Jackson (cause he had no shoes) and I showed her the magazine which I had actually covered up with a different magazine. So she took the entire stack and promised I would never see this magazine in the store again. AND if there was ever anything inappropriate that I could personally come find her and she'd take care of it.

How's that for an awesome experience? I can't tell you the high I was on as I left the store thinking I was doing something!

So now I might be up on a soap box, but I've got to ramble. I recognize that conservatives get that name because that's just what they are. We tend to silently have our opinion and don't want to be pushy with anyone. I am done being quiet! With this whole Proposition 8 (gay marriage amendment) going on here in Cali, I have felt such an urgency to go out and stand up for what is right. I do not think that when I stand before the Lord someday and He asks what I did to prevent this from happening, I will feel justified in saying that I was shy about those kinds of things or just busy being a mom. As a member of His church, I have been asked to stand up for what is right. I don't think God is taking this issue lightly and I am feeling Him push me out of my comfort zone to stand up for him.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Vote "yes on 8" on November 4!

And if you happened to me at Albertson's on Las Tunas, find Janet and tell her thank you for taking crap off the shelves!

7 comments:

Rapunzel said...

I'm so proud of you... you are an amazing example.

the mortensen's said...

nice work. you inspire me!
p.s. we officially love chitty chitty bang bang!

Jess said...

I absolutely love you Jami! you're amazing!

Crump Family said...

Way to go Jamie!!

Jessica Y. said...

Awesome, the less crap we have to look at the better!!
Thanks Jami!

jessica said...

What a refreshing response from a store manager. Good work, girl!!! That is inspiring to me. I too am so sick and tired of the louder minority deciding what happens around us. Thanks for being a great example. -- jess coombs

Crafty Momma said...

Good for you!! You have guts and we need more people like you standing up for what we beleive!