Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pedicures and Tipping

Last weekend was the Father and Son outing. Jack and Jackson went for their first time and had a blast. I was so excited for me and Emma to hang out. on Friday night we met up with some other moms and girls and went out to dinner at Chili's. Then we packed us all up and went to my house to watch Enchanted where the girls fell asleep and the moms stayed up to 1am chatting. Could havegone longer, but I kicked them out on the tooshies! I haven't stayed up that late in a long time, and quite frankly, I'm okay with that. They are the best of women and friends anyway so it wasn't awkward to tell them to get out of my house!
Saturday morning Em's and I woke up and went to the nail salon. She was so stinkin cute. When we got there she told me she was nervous and wanted me to go first. Of course, they did us both at the same time. She chose purple with purple glitter on top. I LOVED watching her be pampered for the first time. The lady working on her thought she was so sweet. I had originally told them we only wanted pedicures simply because manicures never last unless you never use your hands and what mom can get away with that? Anyway, I looked over and they had already started a manicure on this girl, too. She was loving it. Once when her lady walked away she whispered "Mom, she put flowers on my toes! Quick! Tell her to put some on yours, too! Hurry!" So cute! So we had a blast! When we got to the car, though, she said, "Mom, when we got in there I was really afraid, but that lady was so nice! I just talked to her about school and my friends." The best part is that I know the lady couldn't understand a thing she was saying! She just smiled a lot and giggled at the things Em's was saying and that was good enough for her!
It was so fun and relaxing to be able to hang out with just Emma. I kept saying to her how peaceful it felt to just be with her and spend some time together and it really did. She is the best four yr old girl and so dang sweet and fun to be with. I enjoyed spoiling her cause she really has deserved something like that for a long time. I give her a whole lot of responsibility and she takes it better than most adults would. I love her so much!
So for the tipping part...for Emma's mani/pedi and my pedicure it came to $33. I didn't think that was bad. But what about tipping? This is my third pedicure in my life. My first was four years ago (we were dirt poor and I don'thave a clue how much I tipped) and the last was at graduation which my sister in law paid for cause she is awesome and recognized I went through dental school, too, and needed a little present! So this was my first time. I gave them $42. I want some honesty here. If I overdid it, please tell me. If I was so cheap, PLEASE tell me! They put flowers on Emma's two big toes and EVERY FINGER! That seems like a bit of effort so I wanted her to feel like I appreciated that...even if I told her not even to do a manicure! I just need to know what the guidelines are for tipping in salons! Same as restaurant? Let me know!

3 comments:

jani said...

honestly, I don't really know either, so I'm interested in the feedback you get... as for me, I kinda just do it on a case by case basis.... there have been a few times I haven't left a tip because they didn't do a very good job!

just jen said...

i think that your tipping was more on the generous side, but not overly so.

i usually tip 10-15% depending on the job they do, more if i like them.

Crump Family said...

I always tip the same way I'd tip my hair dresser. It's usually about 15%.