Friday, December 7, 2007

Christmas is coming!

I feel like I haven't done a real blog in a while, and I make no guarantees that this will be worthy to be called a real post, also. We leave for Idaho a week from this very moment actually. I'm really excited because i love Christmas. It is my favorite holiday of the year, even though it just doesn't seem like Christmas with 70 degree weather outside. I get to see my dad, which I understand is doing just terrible so I'm anxious to get up there and be a part of his treatment and help take care of him. Being 12 hours away and before when I was 25 hours away, I keep my feelings very surfacy because I can't do a thing wih my feelings so I would probably just sit around and cry a lot...which is what I do if I allow myself to think or really talk about it which only happens with Jack. He's been rushed to the hospital twice this week, but only stayed a day which maybe i should think that that is a blessing because they wouldn't release him if it was something life threatening. But in the last 8 months he has gone from a 57 year old man to at least a 95 year old. He can barely get out of bed and is falling down constantly (fortunately not breaking hips like if he were really that age) and he can't see or taste anything because of his graft vs host disease. It's really taking over. (For those of you lost right now....my dad had bone marrow transplant less than a year ago for a rare type of cancer) Anyway, I'm excited to see him. I've been warned that it's not going to seemlike Christmas at my house either. They haven't even put up the tree yet. My mom is so tired from working and taking care of dad and dad can't get up so that's a little obvious. So I'll have my work cut out for me when I get there! We're trying to decide if we're going to go to Casper for a few days. I'm not sure where my vote lies. We've had fun with Luke and Kim whenever we're with them, but i'm not sure I want to subject the kids and myself to that many more hours in the car. I think Jack is all for it because he's supposed to get rights to the hospital there to help Luke in a surgery so of course that is swaying his vote a lot! Then we will head to Green River after that for a few days. Lots of traveling. Whoo-hoo! I gotta wonder what life will be like when we don't have to travel so long to get to family. It makes me very anxious to be done and settle down by some family. It's crazy that i've never experienced living near any family. I always imagined I would grow up and live in the same town as my parents because I had a good relationship growing up and that's what I wanted. That won't happen now, but it will be fun to at least live within a few hours driving distance! I really should be paying more attention to my kids this morning. Emma woke up and went straight to the TV without breakfast or reading a morning book or anything. I brought this on myself. I started the Twilight series like so many of you andeach one has taken me less than two days and i'm not a fast reader so that just means I ignored my kids for all that time. I started #3 last night so hopefully I can have better will power and only read when the kids get to bed...we'll see about that. I don't expect much! I'm suckered in like every other woman!

9 comments:

Collette said...

Jami,
I'm so sorry about your dad. That is not fun to go through. We watched as Brent's dad suffered through cancer. It was so hard to see him not be able to get up or have the strength to do the things he loved.Enjoy all of the time that you have with him.
I hope you have a great Christmas, despite all of the traveling. I won't complain about our 6 hour drive! At least once we get there our parents are only 30 miles apart.

Jessica Y. said...

So sorry to hear about your Dad. It is so hard to be far away when you feel like you could be helping in some way. I am sure your Mom will be so excited to have you come and help out for Christmas! As far as the book series, you are in good company with neglecting the motherly duties, for a few days!! We all do it on occasion!!

Deanna said...

Jami, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. You must be going through such a rough time right now. I know they'll be glad to have you there. Even if the focus isn't on Christmas, per say, as much, it will definitely keep you in the right spirit: remembering Christ and the blessings we have through the gospel.

I'm glad you keep your feelings very surface-y! :o)

jani said...

What a blessing the perspective the gospel gives!! Your mom must be quite exhausted about now... I'm sure you coming home to help for Christmas will be the best gift of all... just make sure you bring Christmas too- it has a way of lifting hearts. Your family is in our prayers-

Nield Family said...

I love Christmas too! This season seems a little different, but I can feel the peaceful spirit. Thanks for your comment and prayers. We are sorry about your dad too, We will keep him in our prayers. It is hard to see loved ones suffer so much, especially being far away. we love you guys and hope you have a happy holiday!

Borders Family said...

It is heart-stopping to think about this trial you are facing. Everything has a purpose...that is for sure! My heart really goes out to you. What a sweet family you have to be there for you. Onto the other subject...Twilight! I know exactly where you're at. Tell me though...are you a Jacob fan or an Edward fan. We should start a vote somewhere :)

the mortensen's said...

well I'm a blogger. Now we can keep in touch! Have a great day!
kymortensens.blogspot.com

Brady and Kariann said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It's hard to be so far from family when you wish you could be right there to help!! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the time with your family :)!!

Angie said...

Jami! You are probably already in Idaho, which by the way makes me so excited! I know you are going to be super-busy, but if you can call, please do! I also need your home address so I can mail you a Christmas card...even though you won't get it until after the fact...it's the thought right? Have a wonderful holiday and visit with your fam. I hope everything goes okay with your dad. I can't imagine going through all that and being so far away. You are amazingly strong though, take care and keep wearing that beautiful smile that always seems to be infectious!
Love,Ang
Love, Ang