Thursday, June 3, 2010

Its interesting to me how small things can bring you back to moments in life so quickly and you experience deja vu. I had one of those moments that quickly turned into a little post traumatic stress and I was a wreck for a good half hour until I gained some control of myself. There is an LDS woman that has two kids that follow Emma's violin practice. She has to bring all four of her kids, two of which are Sadi and Jackson's age. I've spoken with her a few times and just last week we asked each others names.
So yesterday as I was leaving Emma's violin practice to go home I walked out to see her three kids still in her vehicle watching a movie. I freaked out. It was over 85 degrees outside and the windows were rolled up. She had an 8 year old in the car with her two babies so I'm sure he could've opened up windows or doors if it got too hot. But what if he didn't? Or he lasted longer than the other two or just fell asleep in the heat? I quickly jumped in their car and just told them I was going to roll their windows down so they didn't get too hot. It didn't scare them. I think they were too enthralled in the movie. I walked across the street to my home and went in my room and. broke. down. Was it any of my business? Was rolling the windows down good enough? It was for a half hour and now it was taken care of. But I HAD TO SAY SOMETHING!!! Would you have crossed that boundary? I barely knew her. However, i got up the courage and wiped my eyes and walked back across the street to pull her out of the violin lessons. I'm sure I made her feel like a terrible mother. Of course that was not my intention. I shared a brief story with her and let her know that I rolled the windows down. She did what a mother caught off guard would do and ran out to check on her kids who were fine and told me she intended to leave the air on in the car, but must have turned the key too far to turn it off. What should I have done? Should I have left it at rolling down the windows and called it good?

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

You did the right thing. It could be that helped someone else. Maybe not her, but she could relay that to others. Personal experience and testimony help us all learn. Love you and miss you so much.

Liz said...

Jami you did what you felt was best and that's all that matters. I'm sure she appreciated you doing that for her and her kids. love you!

just jen said...

i think you did the right thing and were very brave to do so...good job!

Brooke Morgan said...

You did good. I would have done the same thing. Believe your mother's intuition every time.

the mortensen's said...

No way. You were totally right. Why take any chances of not doing all you could do. Even though ti was and accident, she could have done the same thing again, for a longer period of time on a hotter day. You never know. Good for you!

Nicole said...

Sometimes it takes someone else to snap you out of your routine. Standing on this side of it with happy kids in cooler air watching a movie, all is well. Standing on the other side with three kiddos in heaven knows what condition in the Hospital... you did the right thing. This wasn't a parenting prerogative, it was an unintentional endangerment issue.

Rachel said...

I'm sure she appreciated the fact that you were concerned about the safety and well-being of her children. I know I would be :)

Mardi said...

i think you did the right thing.

about the cakes...i think they are good. i don't use the box fondant - it is quite gross. i actually make marshmallow fondant - it's just melted marshmallows, vanilla, and powder sugar. Easy to make (super easy with my kitchenaid) and fun to work with! let me know if you want recipes and tips!