Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Solemn Day

We have a pool. We have a high gate around the pool and lock it most o the time. However, this weekend we are painting our kitchen and everything has gone to pot. My house is a mess. Jack took the cupboard fronts and drawers outside to paint and had the kids with him. I got out of the shower and went into the back bedroom to watch my family for just a minute through a glass door that we keep completely locked up because it has direct access to the pool. Anyway, I was watching Jack paint and Emma talk to her dad and Jackson throwing leaves into the pool. And, of course, the moment we have been waiting for since we moved in happened. Jackson lost his balance and went face first into the pool. I had a bowl of cereal in my hand and apparently I completely threw it (I had forgotten all about it until I went back in the room later and saw it all over the place) and I started banging on the windows and screaming at the top of my lungs to Jack, who hadn't heard or seen him fall in. He was literally ten feet away and instantly went to our helpless son who was head first in the water, not even trying to fight or move. I'm sure he had not a clue what to do. It was the most terrifyng five seconds I've ever experienced. It was awful for me to have no control to run out a grab him, even though Jack was right there. Boy, I am glad Jack was so fast to grab him. So I went running out to grab him with a towel and he just wanted to hug for a while. He was so sweet. With all the commotion and attention at Jackson, I didn't realize Emma was in her room just bawling. So I went back there and she kept telling me she wanted Jackson to be safe and we needed to lock all the doors and not let him outside or her would fall in the pool. She was pretty shook up. So we knelt and both of us said a prayer of thanks. She was so sweet in her prayer and thanked Heavenly Father for keeping him safe and then went on to tell Him all of the things that she loved about her little bother the most. I, of course, lost it somewhere in there after playing the scenario through my head over and over, realizing what could have happened. That was a warning for us to do better with this pool. The kids are never out there without us, but apparently even with us we need to be paying 100% attention. It reminds me that I need to get my kids into that program that was on Karianne's website a while back. The mood the rest of the day totally changed. I haven't really wanted to paint anymore. I just want to sit and hug my kids.

12 comments:

Sharla said...

So glad to hear that Jack was able to get to him in time. I'll hug my kids a little tighter. Things like this remind me just how precious they are.

Jessica Y. said...

Jami, What a frightening experience! I am so glad all is well. What a gut wrenching mommy moment!!

Brady and Kariann said...

Reading that made me so scared for you guys!! I'm so glad Jack was right there and everything is OK!

just jen said...

scary...thank goodness you were both there!

jani said...

Ugh- what a horrible thing to have to see!!

Julie said...

I am so glad that you happend to be watching at that moment. I guess we all need those "slap in the face" experiences once in a while to get us back in line. I know I have had plenty of those, and will probably have plenty more.

Lisha said...

How scary! I can't imagine how you felt. I think Emma is just the sweetest! What a sweet little prayer for her brother!:)

Jamie said...

dang! that's scary- a parents worst fear! luckily you happened to be looking out the window at the right time....what a blessing!!!!!

Crafty Momma said...

Oh my gosh Jami, what a terrifying thing to happen! I'll bet your heart jumped out of your chest! I'm glad he's ok! Christian wants a pool when we get a house next year and I am so scared about something like that happening, especially around small children.

Pam said...

I am so glad to hear that all turned out well. I am glad you were there when you were. You know they say all things are for your good and bring you experiences. I am glad this had a positive outcome and everyone is well.

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Borders Family said...

Reading about your experience sent chills down my spine and tears to my eyes. What an awful once-in-a-lifetime exeperience. After such trials, I like to think, "What is the lesson I am supposed to gain from this?" and then everything is all better...after a while. So sweet Emma to be so worried about her brother. Aren't children so inspiring?